Database Adviser National Volunteer
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
As a volunteer, you will provide technical support to staff to prepare and install a VSO database on volunteer profile. This will include supporting the development of tools and approaches that enable programs to be able to have a standard information on volunteering in Mozambique. Support to strengthen national volunteering management systems, volunteer program development, and to develop robust database systems and tools for VSO Mozambique operating at national level
Skills, qualifications and experience
- You have a degree in IT, Mathematics and relevant experience in installing and training staff in how to use the database;
- You have good knowledge of participatory action research;
- You’re a flexible and creative person. You have the ability to handle problems, obstacles and frustrating circumstances;
- Have relevant technical or higher education in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics or related fields;
- Have mastery of computer tools for creating DBs: SQL, SSP and advanced ACCESS;
- Have relevant experience in the field of DataBase (from the design of data collection instruments to the creation and installation of DataBase, including database management);
- Be available for regular business trips
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
VSO JD DATA BASE VOLUNTEER ENG for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.