Rare is a $25 million fast-growing, international conservation organization. We believe conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value, and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. Rare’s culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial.
We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change. With initiatives such as Fish Forever, Watersheds Protection, Sustainable Agriculture, Blended Finance, Meloy Fund, and Center for Behavior & the Environment, Rare is on a mission to “inspire change so people and nature thrive”.
The Vice President, Mozambique will promote Rare’s mission of inspiring change so people and nature thrive by leading and managing the development and execution of the country strategy. She/he will ensure the effective and efficient delivery and expansion of programs in collaboration with local government, donors and other stakeholders in Mozambique. She/he will lead the Mozambique team to ensure the Country Program remains strategically aligned, viable and competitive with the global Rare strategy. She/he will collaborate with the global leadership team, particularly the Senior Vice President, Fish Forever and functional units to ensure that the business objectives are achieved.
The Vice President, Mozambique has a key role as a member of the Leadership Team (LT) and as such is responsible for providing input on all strategic initiatives at Rare.
The Vice President, Mozambique, is a seasoned leader with a record of success in the region, and brings with him/her a large existing local and global network and proven track record of implementing community-orientated programs across broad geographic areas. He or she has tremendous managerial and leadership capacity, business acumen, and is dedicated to helping the organization achieve ambitious objectives for growth and impact.
The Vice President, Mozambique, will exercise independent judgment regarding the following areas of significance:
Program and Rare Representation:
Serves as the Country’s primary spokesperson and as Rare’s representative for internal and external stakeholder and visitor communications. Ambassador for the advancement of advocacy and policy efforts in the country related to Rare’s mission at the national and local level to identify and influence decision makers in the area of conservation, climate change, and marine fisheries policy.
Fundraising and Development:
Maintains and secures mid- to long-term funding for the country program by actively seeking diversified international and local sources of funding in view of identified country program needs and/or local requests related to Rare’s mission.
Ensures a cohesive and productive team by adapting goals, communicating direction, utilizing creative thinking, clarifying roles and responsibilities, and demonstrating good judgment and clear decision-making. Sets a strong example to others through a productive work environment. Supports ongoing development of staff; working in close collaboration with the Fish Forever program team and Rare support teams across a global network of offices.
Program and Technical Support:
Demonstrates a clear understanding of programmatic goals and the technical aspects of program needs, appropriately applying procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies to ensure that technical goals are attained and programmatic commitments to donors and partners are met.
Ensuring effective department operations and demonstrating strong management skills by overseeing effective work plans, ensuring appropriate staffing and training, implementing effective time management and providing clear and effective communications to Mozambique and global staff.
Experience and Education
- Higher degree (MBA, M.S., M.A).
- 10+ years successful experience managing complex multi-sector programs in a global setting; experience in Mozambique essential.
- At least 5 years proven experience in managing local, global and US government grants and/or cooperative agreements. Other international donor experiences an advantage.
- At least 5 years proven experience in leading and managing staff, including talent acquisitions, recruitment networking, staff development, training, mentoring, and performance reviews.
- Demonstrated financial management experience, including the preparation and management of budgets and contracts, and the management of banking activities and relationships including the adherence to procurement procedures.
- Experience leading and managing a multidisciplinary team, including managing senior level leaders and multiple functional teams and specialists.
- Builds trusting relationships across all levels within the organization
- Experience in fundraising, including cultivation of new donors and contributing technical content to proposals.
- Demonstrate integrity and accountability at all times.
- Proven experience in networking, public relations, communications, advocacy and new business development.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English required.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. EOE/M/F/D/V