Technical Specialist / Database Manager
The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager, the Database Manager supports the implementation of the M&E system of the Vector Control Project in Mozambique.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Participates in the collection, cleaning, analysis, and reporting of M&E data according to the project’s M&E plan.
- Tests and maintains functionality of the M&E database, including performing periodic updates and improvements.
- Trains and supervises data entry clerks and M&E assistants, while supervising their work during and after the campaign.
- Secures and prepares data centers before and during each spray campaign.
- Assists in the regular monitoring of project implementation against established targets and objectives, including supervising data collectors in the field and data entry clerks at data centers.
- Supports periodic internal data quality assessments (DQAs) and prepares the project for possible external DQAs to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timeliness of all performance data, identifying gaps and suggesting corrective actions on time.
- Collects, analyzes, and presents program data for project staff, partners, counterparts, and donors.
- Contributes to the project’s work in HMIS, and in linking country-level HMIS to project monitoring and evaluation, as appropriate.
- Oversees the configuration and deployment of mobile-based supervisory data collection, bulk SMS job aides, and daily performance monitoring using mobile technologies.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, information systems/technology, Community Health, Sociology, Health Economics, or other relevant field
- Three (3) years of relevant experience in database management, monitoring & evaluation, or other relevant social science activities.
- Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of analytical software (Microsoft Access and Excel, SPSS, Stata, Arc GIS, DHIS2, etc.)
- Knowledge of health project implementation in general, with a focus on malaria prevention programs with PMI or USAID very desirable.
- Prior experience working with mobile data collection systems very desirable (CommCare, ODK, KoboCollect, Ona, DHIS2 mobile, etc.)
- Knowledge of material logistics systems is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.