Senior Manager, Advocacy and Communications
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Develop and implement strategic advocacy and communications plans, activities and materials to support work in Mozambique (in collaboration with relevant VillageReach staff).
- Strengthen VillageReach’s capacity to convene and engage with policymakers, partners, donors, advisory groups, and other stakeholders in Mozambique.
- Promote VillageReach’s evidence and experience globally, regionally and in key countries to support plans and policies that lead to improved access to health at the last mile.
- Provide support to the advocacy and communications plans of all VillageReach projects in Mozambique; including the development and promotion of policy papers and related materials that effectively communicate impact and results related to programmatic work.
- Help build visibility for VillageReach among key stakeholders and donors, and in relevant fora (e.g. immunizations, supply chain & logistics, data analytics, and more).
- Support translation of English and/or Portuguese documents and materials for advocacy and communications purposes.
- Research, identification and hiring of consultants and vendors in Mozambique as needed.
- Contribute to blogs, presentations, whitepapers, grants proposals, strategy documents, and other written deliverables.
- Participate and represent VillageReach in advocacy and communications efforts in Mozambique, in the region and globally, as well as in other initiatives, meetings, and conferences that are aligned with VillageReach objectives
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience and Education
Advocacy and programmatic communications experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in a global health or international development organization in an advocacy or strategic communications role.
- A graduate degree in public policy, public affairs, international development, public health, or related field.
- Experience in the design and management of initiatives to change policy and political will addressing issues of international concern.
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of advocacy and communications efforts to increase awareness of health and development issues.
- Experience working at or with multilateral organizations such as Gavi, WHO, UNICEF, World Bank as well as bilateral aid organizations.
- Ability to build political and financial support for health and development goals in low-resource environments with governmental and non-state organizations.
- Persuasive written and verbal communication. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within VillageReach and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with others in the organization and externally.
- Experience working with CSOs, government, the media and other stakeholders to influence change. Strong knowledge of international stakeholders in international health and preferably in Supply Chain & Logistics
Communications, presentation and writing skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English and Portuguese.
- Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze information for decision-making and presentations. Experience writing articles for major journals.
- Experience working with high-level executives and/or political officials.
- Expertise in the use of imagery and storytelling in presentations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a small and geographically dispersed team.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Ability to be self-directed, prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Ability to travel 20% to 30% of the time.
Other desired qualifications:
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context
- Experience working in immunization and in the field of supply chain or logistics.
- Knowledge of various global and national actors and systems used to finance, procure, and deliver vaccines, essential medicines, diagnostics, and other health commodities.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities at this time.
The following competencies reflect both what is expected of all VillageReach employees and of an individual in this specific role.
- Interpersonal Skills: Conduct oneself with sensitivity, awareness and respect when working with diverse groups of people, including VillageReach staff, beneficiaries, donors and partners.
- Dependability: Act at all times as a reliable and effective team player, volunteering to help without being asked.
- Initiative and Results: Proactively enhance the quality of programs, outputs, workplace environment and relationships.
- Representation: Represent VillageReach and its programs by demonstrating a personal commitment to the mission and values of VillageReach and a sound knowledge of the organization, its principles and its programs
- Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship: Demonstrate leadership by being a positive example to others, a positive force programmatically and organizationally; foster a culture of innovation.
- Commitment to Learning and Growth: Demonstrate commitment to develop, acquire, document and apply best practices in related fields, and apply solutions to obstacles to organizational effectiveness.
- Consistency: Demonstrate consistent and productive attendance and work record.
- Compliance: Follow VillageReach policies and procedures.