People and Operations Manager
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
Lead and manage People and Operations function in the country office as a trusted people business partner providing leadership, expertise and high quality services to enable VSO people, employees and volunteers to deliver their best with VSO unique volunteering approach to development and People First are at the heart of all what we do contributing to the achievement of VSO’s mission to bring people together to end poverty.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Relevant degree in Human Resources Management or Development with demonstrable skills and experience of business partnering at management level in a complex global organisation setting with a multi-cultural environment;
- 5 years of experience in organisation development with a proven track record of developing and delivering a plan to build an organisation culture, develop engagement and leadership, people capacity and capability and transfer knowledge to partner organisation;
- Experience in using Human Resources information systems (HRIS) for strategic and operational HR delivery. Understanding and commitment to data protection, social inclusion, gender and diversity issues;
- Knowledge of country labour market, employment and immigration laws and regulations.
- Skills and experience of operations management with proven track records of successfully leading and managing a functional team to delivery health, safety and security, procurement, IT, logistics, office environment, facilities, visa, work permit, government registration, reporting and administrative support services in a complex setting.
Leadership and People Management
- Excellent leadership and people management skills, with a proven track record of leading and developing multicultural teams with matrix management relationship;
- Ability to engage others and facilitate people development and positive changes. Skills in facilitation, mentoring, coaching and accompaniment with a proven track record of leading and developing others;
- Builds confidence and excitement in VSO’s work and vision, both internally and externally.
Collaboration and communication Skills
- Excellent written and spoken English and country local languages (Nepali);
- Ability to build, maintain relationship for influence and work collaboratively with people at all levels including regional, global colleagues, partners, consortiums, poor and marginalized communities and other stakeholders.
Work Management and Problem Solving
- Self-organised with excellent time management skills, work effectively under pressure and support team members with organisation and prioritization;
- Ability to work on own initiatives, with a solution approach to problem solving. Strong level of attention to detail. Demonstrable commitment to excellent customer services;
- Adaptability and Flexibility to adapt to new situations, with a positive attitude to working in an international organisation.
Volunteering for Development – Understanding and valuing the role of volunteering for development. Familiarity with diverse models of volunteer engagement and the volunteer journey – proven ability to leverage volunteer engagements to deliver social change outcomes. Personal experience of volunteering for development is a significant plus.
Financial and Risk Management – Strong financial and risk management skills (including ability to understand and work with restricted funds and full cost recovery concepts, and project funding issues); understanding of financial management policy and excellent budget monitoring and management skills.
Information Technology – Good level of computer skills (Windows, Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook, Internet).
Travel requirement: Able to travel in a rural area in country and internationally occasionally and spend time away from work- base location and home.
Commitment to VSO’s mission, values, People First principles and core approaches (Social Inclusion and Gender, Social Accountability, and Resilience).
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy.
Project management experience.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.