Health Systems Strengthening Specialist
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth fast-paced environment? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
We are a growing health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our portfolio currently includes a range of technical assistance in health financing and HRH, policy and planning with MIASU, research and evaluation for health systems. Our donors include USAID, CDC, DFID, WHO and sub-awards for a variety of contracts.
We are looking for a Health Systems Strengthening Specialist to assume a leadership role in our Maputo office. S/he will oversee all technical areas of design, implementation and monitoring of the current projects, direct the design and proposal writing for new areas of work and represent with Ministry of Health and maintain solid donor relations, in direct collaboration with our Country Director.
The ideal candidate should be a dedicated and high performing health professional who is keen to provide technical leadership to a cutting edge portfolio.
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Reports to: Country Director, Maputo, Mozambique.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to country program staff; including senior technical specialists, analysts, and interns;
- Provide direct technical expertise, in selected areas of the program portfolio; these areas include health financing, human resources for health, supply chain management and research and evaluation;
- Provide support and advice to the Ministry of Health and development partners regarding current utilization and management of HRH, as well as on the development of HRH policies integrated within on-going health system policies, practices and resources;
- Support the Ministry of Health in the finalization of the GFF Investment Case and the related training activities in the Provinces based on the existing tools within the guidelines of the IC.
- Develop research protocols on HRH and HSS to ensure quality data-generation and rigorous analysis;
- Ensure timely delivery of quality products through adoption of and compliance with ThinkWell’s quality standards.
Representation and new business
- Represent ThinkWell with all key stakeholders within government, donors, and other non-state actors, on all technical aspects of current and prospective projects;
- Maintain outstanding levels of client satisfaction and accountability for all deliverables;
- Lead, or participate in, new business through engagement with Ministry counterparts, partners and other relevant agencies in the design and development of proposals;
- Provide written input into technical documents, project status reports, and blogs and articles for publication and dissemination on ThinkWell’s website, external sites, and at conferences;
- Maintain communications with other ThinkWell project managers in various global locations, for the purposes of technical exchange, knowledge management and dissemination, cross-fertilization, etc;
- Other relevant projects and tasks, as needed.
- Degree in Medicine and Master’s degree in Public Health or in a relevant subject and minimum 10 years of full-time work experience; alternatively, 15 years of full-time work experience and relevant publications are accepted;
- Experience working in evaluation of health national strategies or national programs (Malaria, HIV, TB);
- Experience in HRH analysis and technical assistance to planning in low-middle income countries, including field work within health systems, for at least 3 years after the MSc degree;
- Extensive experience working with ministries of health and finance, and with donors and implementers;
- Strong network in the health systems and policy research community preferred;
- Proven track record in technical project management and people management;
- Fluent command of English and working proficiency in Portuguese;
- Willingness to travel to provinces and within the region.
Skills and Competencies
- Positive leader who models expected behaviors;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with clients and partners in a multicultural environment;
- Systems thinker with thorough understanding of the complexities of achieving development outcomes in a complex environment;
- Strong and compelling writing skills;
- Ability to deliver effectively in high-pressure situations, with multiple sometimes competing deadlines;
- Drive to challenge conventional wisdom;
- Open to and empowered by critical feedback;
- A combination of humility and confidence.