Evaluation Leader USAID/ Mozambique Malaria Project
MSI manages the Mozambique Monitoring and Evaluations Mechanism Services (MEMS) contract, which has the goal of helping USAID/Mozambique become a more effective and adaptive development organization. In support of this goal, MMEMS provides high quality, timely evaluations of Mission projects and activities. USAID/Mozambique has asked MMEMs to carry out an evaluation of a key Malaria prevention and treatment activity using Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) strategies. MMEMS seeks a highly qualified evaluation team leader with experience evaluating SBCC projects.
The evaluations specialist will lead the evaluation of a Malaria prevention and treatment project in Mozambique, conducting field work for three to five weeks in July-August and delivering the final report by the end of September 2017. The consultant will take the lead in developing the mixed-methods evaluation design, developing data collection instruments, and conducting data collection, analysis and report writing. The team leader will coordinate and oversee the work of the evaluation team members and report to the MMEMS Chief of Party and Senior Evaluation Adviser.
- Lead the design and implementation of all evaluation activities;
- Supervise other evaluation team members in carrying out required design, data collection, and analysis and report writing tasks;
- Ensure that evaluation processes and products meet the requirements and quality standards of MSI and USAID;
- Oversee and conduct desk research and provide inputs to inform required evaluation design documents;
- Lead the drafting and finalization of the evaluation design documents including: data collection instruments, data collection and analysis plans, work plans, sampling plans and criteria, and other relevant sections of the design document;
- Carry out research and analysis based on the approved evaluation design and methodology; this may include reviewing and analyzing secondary documents, conducting key informant interviews in person or by phone, and supervising data collection and other approaches to collect and analyze data;
- Lead the drafting and finalization of the draft and final evaluation report; including responding to comments from MSI’s MMEMS team and the client;
- Participate in presentations to USAID and external stakeholders regarding findings and recommendations from the evaluation.
- A graduate degree in social sciences;
- A minimum of 8 years of evaluation experience, including experience leading evaluation teams;
- Demonstrated experience evaluating Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) projects in the health sector;
- Knowledge and experience in applying USAID’s evaluation guidelines;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Outstanding team leadership skills and experience;
- Fluency in English required; Fluency in Portuguese preferred;
- Experience working in Mozambique a plus.